I have spent this weekend as an anxious mess. Friday I went to a restaurant/bar to watch a local Voice like competition. I was with a friend that I have known basically my whole life, and some of her friends. After the show was over we went […]
I have spent this weekend as an anxious mess.
Friday I went to a restaurant/bar to watch a local Voice like competition. I was with a friend that I have known basically my whole life, and some of her friends. After the show was over we went to a different bar, and stayed out for a while. Which was I mostly fine, I mean I was able to cope.
Also some advice guys, don’t walk up to a group of girls sticking your hand in their faces expecting them to just high five you.
Then the next night that same friend had been pulled into going out with someone from work and her friends, and didn’t want to be there alone not knowing anyone but the work friend. I know how uncomfortable it is to be around a group of people where you only know one person so I went, knowing that I shouldn’t. And my anxiety went into overdrive. I mean the bar wasn’t even crowded but I struggled so much. I hadn’t driven, so I couldn’t even leave. Fortunately I had said from the beginning that I couldn’t stay out long, so I was only out for two hours total, which I should have left an hour sooner than I had gone out.
That panic/anxiety attack lasted the whole night and caused my whole day today spent in an anxious haze. Basically I spent the day trying to breathe, and to not loose it completely. I mean ideally today should have been great, I got to see my sister and my nephew while my mom, other sister and I went to drop of my niece off. She is spending spring break with them. On the way home we stopped at the casino, which just has too much commotion for me.
Luckily for me when I got home for the night Tigre was ready to cuddle, I had tons of skittles, and lavender oil in my diffuser, so the rest of the night was easy. Then today I have the kids who are an amazing distractions.
But I am going to leave you with a few tips on how to handle socializing when you have social anxiety.
- So first, put some extra effort in your appearance. When you dress nice, or do your hair and make up, it’ll give you a little boost in confidence.
- Drive yourself, unless you plan on drinking, if you are driving you have control of when you leave. That way you have an exit strategy.
- Skip the diet soda. Ok this might just be me, but when I’m feeling anxious I crave sugar. Also all of the sugar makes me hyper, and they say that aspartame can cause anxiety attacks.
- Have at least one friend that your comfortable with.
- Know where the bathroom is. I know it sounds weird, but I often hide in the bathrooms. You know you can go in there lock the stall door, take a minute to breath and calm yourself down, and catch your breath
I hope these help you, and that you had a great weekend. I’m sure I have said this before, but I’m not posting this looking for sympathy, or pity. I am not sad, and there is nothing to worry about, my anxiety is just who I am, a happy anxious girl.